Getting a tattoo is a permanent decision. Think about it, do you know anyone who has gotten a tattoo, only to wind up regretting their decision? More often than not, this is simply because the person getting the tattoo didn’t take the time necessary to truly consider the tattoo design that they were getting. Simply put, tattoos shouldn’t be an impulse purchase.
Here are a few tips how to choose the tattoo design that is right for you.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for help. You don’t have to be an artist or creative type to know what you like. Take your suggestions with you to your tattoo artist and let them help you develop your design ideas. They’re artists, creativity is in their blood.
- Look for inspiration in your day-to-day life; stationery, books or commercials on TV. Consider anything you see during the normal course of your day. You might be surprised to find the perfect tattoo design staring you right in the face. If you can’t find anything, try doing image searches on the Internet and see what comes up.
- If you are choosing a tattoo design to honor the memory of someone else, consider the things they may have enjoyed or would have been meaningful to them.
- Strongly consider how your tattoo design might affect your job. This is also something to consider when determining where to place the tattoo design on your body. If you’re working for a high profile company and deal with the public, you probably want to avoid putting ink on your face.
- Express yourself. Think about your hobbies or things you enjoy. Consider your favorite things, people or places. Those things that have the deepest meaning to you can often be represented by a single symbol. From a beloved cartoon character to the logo of your favorite sports team, the only limitations are your imagination.
- Don’t be afraid to make an alteration. You may find an existing tattoo design similar to what you are looking for, that needs just a small amount of tweaking. Consider taking it to your tattoo artist and allowing them to help you fashion the perfect tattoo design.
- Decide whether you want your tattoo design in full color. This will have a large impact on the tattoo design you eventually choose. Ask your tattoo artist how the colors will hold up over time.
You can find good tattoo designs all around you. Keep your eyes open for inspiration. Never limit a design to only those which you see on others. Make your tattoo design a personal and creative reflection of you. Don’t rush into a design just because you want one. Take your time, relax and open your mind. You might find that the inspiration for the perfect tattoo design arrives when you least expect it.